Menswear Editor & Trend Forecaster, WGSN
We're looking for a Menswear Specialist (Editor and Trend Forecaster) who has proven experience to join our Content team.
The role is based in New York or the East Coast.
Salary range - $60,000 - $80,000
Working at WGSN
Together, we create tomorrow
A career with WGSN is fast-paced, exciting and full of opportunities to grow and develop. We're a team of consumer and design trend forecasters, content creators, designers, data analysts, advisory consultants and much more, united by a common goal: to create tomorrow.
WGSN's trusted consumer and design forecasts power outstanding product design, enabling our customers to create a better future. Our services cover consumer insights, beauty, consumer tech, fashion, interiors, lifestyle, food and drink forecasting, data analytics and expert advisory. If you are an expert in your field, we want to hear from you.
You will be required to write industry reports as they relate to the global commercial fashion market. With an innate understanding of Menswear, you will be articulate in written English and visual communication. Being skilled in interpreting the menswear market, you are sought out internally and externally, as a trusted industry expert. You will also contribute to projects, providing direction in your area of expertise by building and maintaining strong, and global cross-department relationships.
You will have a strong knowledge of men’s fashion trends, new product development and sustainability, and have an understanding of the role data and analytics plays in commercial success. You will produce reports identifying product opportunities for WGSN’s design and buying clients at an item and category level using a combination of image research and WGSN’s proprietary data sets across ecommerce and social media.
You will have had a fashion design, buying education or experience within menswear apparel and be able to take that knowledge and use it to comment confidently on the implications of apparel trends across multiple product categories.
This role sits at a level that is equivalent to an in-brand associate menswear designer, or associate menswear buyer.
- Researching and creating solution-driven content, showing a clear understanding of client needs across the menswear category. Delivering this content in either written, visual or video format.
- Collaborating with other content departments, you will work with our UK based Senior Menswear Strategist to deliver content for Menswear across the global WGSN platforms & channels and maintain a strong working relationship with the Global Content, Content Operations, Sales, Marketing and Product Development.
- Contributing to team meetings when required, putting forward new ideas and suggestions for content creation, report processes and formats.
- Representing Menswear for WGSN at client facing meetings, tradeshows & events and media engagements.
- Maintaining a high degree of confidence and being able to showcase a visible presence.
- Keeping abreast of client needs across the globe to better understand their challenges, alongside tracking changes within the industry to anticipate these needs.
- Sourcing and briefing international freelancers and providing feedback on their content.
- Contribute to the research and development of macro and micro trends as part of a designated forecast team, actively contributing to the content direction for WGSN Trend Days.
- Forecasting and tracking market trends using quantitative and qualitative data within all markets, demographics, and regions.
- Collaborate beyond the direct Menswear department to build knowledge within the wider Fashion Content team.
- Travel nationally and internationally to cover industry trade shows, conferences and other events when required.
- Provide quotes for press and broadcast media as required.
- Work with the consultancy arm, Mindset to work and deliver projects and workshops to clients when required.
This list is not exhaustive and there may be other activities you are required to deliver.
Skills, experience & qualification required
- Proven career experience within the menswear market with a background in trend forecasting, design or buying, demonstrating an understanding of the apparel industry across design, buying, textile innovation and lifestyle drivers.
- Solid knowledge of the global menswear market from premium to commercial trends across fashion and lifestyle product areas, and the ability to pin-point trends that will impact the market.
- Expert level of experience in writing, editing and reporting through an extensive career path within design, buying or content creation.
- Good standard of written English.
- Good understanding of how macro and micro trends and social media platforms are impacting menswear output within the apparel industry.
- An understanding of the role data and analytics plays in commercial success
- Ability to take ownership of personal assignments, prioritise workload and support other members of the team.
- Ability to manage your own time effectively to meet exacting content deadlines.
- Excellent organisation, communication and collaboration skills with the ability to work within an international team to ensure production standards, reports or outputs are of a consistently high standard and submitted on time.
- Willing to invest time to build strong working relationships with the wider Content Team, as well as Sales, Client Services and Marketing.
- Technical skills: Adobe Creative Suite, Microsoft Office, Google Workspace.
Ascential’s supporting beliefs
- Focus: we ruthlessly prioritise and always keep things simple
- All in: once we commit we deliver, with a clear focus on the outcome
- Trustworthiness, transparency & openness: transparency inspires trust & empowers
- Be creative: we are smart, pro-active innovators
- Facts: we always use data & insight to inform our work
- Empathy: we can be relied upon for fairness and consideration
- No silos: one team, one face, one reputation
What we offer
Our benefits and wellbeing package offers flexible benefits you can tailor to your own personal needs, including:
- Paid Time Off – 15 days of vacation per year with an additional day for each year of service up to 20 days. Ascential also observes the 12 Federal holidays. We also offer 6 weeks of paid Parental Leave.
- 401(k) Retirement Savings Plan – allows employees to save and invest for their own retirement on a tax deferred basis. Ascential
matches 50% of the first 6% contributed by employees.
- Medical, Dental and Vision plans with Aetna
- Life Insurance, AD&D, Short and Long-Term Disability - all eligible employees receive coverage at no cost
- Mental Health – Ascential provides many ways for employees to access mental health care including an Employee Assistance Program and inpatient, outpatient and virtual care if enrolled in an Aetna medical plan
- US Stock Purchase Plan – all eligible employees can save for a two-year period to buy Ascential shares at a 15% discount
Why chose us?
At Ascential, diversity, equity and inclusion is core to us. We’re a company built around our people - and we’re committed to supporting each and every one of them to be the best they can be. We love having a diverse team of people who bring new ideas and different strengths and perspectives to Ascential. Our employee-led networks, Ascential Pride, Black in Business and EmPower: An Ascential Women's Initiative, help us to create a place where communities and allies can connect and share experiences. In addition, our Early Talent programmes help grow and foster diverse new talent for our sectors.
We are committed to supporting the environment and sustainability, including ensuring our pension plan defaults to sustainable options and striving to be net zero by 2030.
Recognising great performance is a key part of our culture. Our Awards schemes recognise and reward the brilliant achievements of our people.
We have a truly flexible working environment with a wide range of flexible, hybrid and agile-working arrangements. Conversations about flexible working have always been - and will continue to be - actively encouraged here.
We want to ensure everyone has the opportunity to perform their best when interviewing, so if you require any reasonable adjustments that would make you more comfortable during the process, please let us know so that we can do our best to support you.
If we inspire you, why not join and inspire us? Find out more on what our People say